Everybody loves cake, right? As much as I love a good chocolate cake, red velvet cake or cheesecake, birthday cake is my absolute favorite type of cake. Today I’m sharing my recipe for The Ultimate Birthday Cake. This cake is guaranteed to knock your socks off! Well, if you’re wearing them…this time of year I’m sporting sandals.Recently when I discovered that two ladies from our church group had upcoming birthdays, I immediately suggested having a small dinner party to celebrate. I jumped at the chance to bake a birthday cake. You see, I love baking, so I use any excuse I can find to warm up my oven and start whipping up something good! This cake was a big hit at the party, and I bet you are going to love it, too.
Baking the cake is easy since all you do is add a few extra ingredients to a boxed cake mix, but don’t tell anyone. It’s so good they’d never guess that you didn’t make it completely from scratch. It can be our little secret! The creamy frosting is so delicious thanks to the special ingredient…just a little bit of almond flavoring. Oh my goodness…I think it’s time for me to make another one of these delicious cakes! Well, let’s get on to the recipe.Ingredients Needed:
For the Cake
- 1 box French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 16 oz Sour Cream
- 1 small box of French Vanilla instant pudding mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
For the Frosting
- 8 oz. Butter flavored Crisco
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 4 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 3-4 T. milk
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Beat cake mix, sour cream, instant pudding mix, eggs and oil together using an electric mixer until mixed well.
- Divide evenly into 3 8 inch greased cake pans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until done.
For the Frosting:
- Beat shortening, vanilla and almond extract with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add half of the sugar, beating well.
- Add 2 T. milk.
- Gradually beat in remaining sugar.
- Add enough milk to make desired spreading consistency.
- Spread frosting evenly onto cake layers.
I added a little food coloring to my frosting because every lady deserves a pink birthday cake, but you can leave that part out if you want. What really matters is the taste. This ultimate birthday cake is so creamy, moist and sweet. It will become your new favorite! Be sure to print out the recipe below and add to your stash of tasty cakes recipes. You are going to want to hang on to this one, friends!