Everybody loves a good poke cake, but this Cannoli Poke Cake is raising the bar for poke cakes everywhere. I first spotted the recipe for this delicious cake at Life, Love and Sugar, and decided to give it a try with a simple modification, and I was amazed by the results. I promise you that this cake does not disappoint! With a cake layer drenched in sweetened condensed milk and a topping reminiscent of sweet cannoli filling, you really can’t go wrong with this Cannoli Poke Cake!
The first time I ever tasted a cannoli was on a wedding anniversary. My husband and I decided we’d stay in for the night, so we ordered a pizza from a local Italian restaurant. Since we were celebrating a special occasion, I requested they add a cannoli to our order so we could have dessert. Imagine my surprise when we opened up the box and found an order of cannelloni instead of cannoli. It was disappointing at first, but after a phone call and quick trip back to the restaurant, we soon had a wonderful dessert to share, and cannelloni to eat for lunch the next day!
I instantly fell in love with the pastry due to the sweet Ricotta filling and taste of cinnamon, but in North Carolina, it’s not always easy to find cannoli on the menu. Now I don’t have to search for it, because I can whip up a Cannoli Poke Cake anytime I please. Now you can, too, with this easy to follow recipe!
- 1 box French Vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients on box
- 1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 cups of Ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Bake cake according to directions on box for using a 9 X 13 pan. Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Using a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the top of the cake.
- Pour 10 oz. of the Sweetened Condensed Milk over the cake into the holes you just poked. (Reserving 1/2 cup for topping). Place the cake in your fridge while you continue to the next step.
- Combine Ricotta and Mascarpone cheeses and vanilla extract in a mixer bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and cinnamon and mix well.
- Add the reserved Sweetened Condensed Milk and mix well.
- Spread the cannoli topping evenly on top of the cake.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the topping.
- Set cake in the fridge at least 2 hours prior to serving.