Traditionally the start of fall is accompanied by color-changing leaves and cooler temperatures, but I think there’s another tell-tell sign of fall… pumpkin spice. That’s right! I know fall has arrived once I see pumpkin spice flavored coffee, creamer, fudge, cake, muffins, and yes…cookies!
Today’s recipe for Mocha Pumpkin Spice Cookies combines the delicious flavor of pumpkin spice with mocha coffee. The result is the perfect fall cookie to be enjoyed with coffee on a crisp morning, with hot chocolate after a fall hay ride, basically any time you can find the excuse to enjoy this yummy cookie. Seriously, if you love pumpkin spice you are going to love this cookie. Check out the recipe below.
Mocha Pumpkin Spice Cookies Ingredients:
- 1 c white sugar
- 2 TBSP molasses
- 6 TBSP pumpkin puree
- ½ C shortening (do not substitute butter)
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 ¼ c flour
- 2 tsp instant dark roasted instant coffee
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 jar Ghirardelli hot fudge sauce
- Whole coffee beans for garnish
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the sugar, molasses, pumpkin puree and shortening in a bowl, stirring after each addition.
- Whisk in the egg.
- In another bowl add all of the dry ingredients (flour, instant coffee, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, salt and baking soda) and stir until all ingredients are well blended.
- Slowly scoop in a small amount of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing after each addition until batter is formed.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to make your cookie batter into balls and place on the lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until cookies appear puffy and slightly undercooked. Allow them to cool on the cookie sheet before moving them to a wire rack for the chocolate drizzle. The cookies will harden as they cool.
- Place a cup of the fudge sauce into the microwave for 5-10 seconds for it to melt. Use a teaspoon to drizzle the melted chocolate sauce over each cookie. Garnish each cookie with a coffee bean.