Gourmet caramel apples are a delicious treat enjoyed all over the world. Now you can make your own Homemade Gourmet Caramel Apples in the comfort of your own home. Trust me, it’s not as difficult as you may think to make these gourmet candied apples. Make a batch of these beauties to take to fall parties and festivals this year and they will become the big hit of the party. Gather your family for an afternoon and make these together and it may become a new family tradition in your home.
Ingredients to make Homemade Gourmet Caramel Apples:
- 6+ Granny Smith Apples or Gala apples, large
- 2 bags of caramels
- 2 TB water
- 1 package of candy sticks
- 1 bag chopped peanut bits
- 1 bag of orange candy melts
- 1 bag of purple candy melts
- If you have grocery store bought apples they will have a wax coating. The first step is to remove the coating before starting to make the caramel apples. The easiest way to remove the wax coating is to dip your apples in a pot of boiling water for a short amount of time. When you remove the apples, one at a time, from the pot of water, use a rough cloth to wipe the remaining wax off of the apples. Set aside to allow your apples to cool. (Make sure that your apples are dry before continuing).
- Once your apples are washed and dry, push a stick into the core of each of the apples.
- Cover cookie sheets with wax paper, taping down each end. Spray the lined cookie sheets with baking spray.
- Next, unwrap your caramels and put them in a glass bowl with 2 tablespoons of water and place in the microwave. Heat on high for 2 minutes, stir and then return to the microwave for another minute. Continue repeating this process until the caramel is fully melted.
- Pick up each apple by the candy stick with a fork under the bottom of the apple for support and dip it into the melted caramel. If necessary use a spoon to cover the apple with the caramel.
- Place each dipped apple on the wax paper lined cookie sheet. When all of your apples are done, place in your refrigerator to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Dip each caramel covered apple into the bowl of peanut bits and roll the sides of the apple in the apple bits. Place back on the wax paper.
Return to the refrigerator for 15 minutes or until the candy is firm on the apples.
- Melt the orange candy melts in separate bowls in the microwave, one at a time, following the package directions. When the orange candy is melted completely pour it into a plastic squeeze bottle and drizzle over each apple and set aside to cool in the refrigerator.
- Next, melt the purple candy melts and pour it into another plastic squeeze bottle . Drizzle the purple candy on each apple and return to the refrigerator until the purple melted candy is hardened.
You can store these Homemade Gourmet Caramel Apples in an air tight container for up to 3 days. Heat and humidity will cause the candy to become sticky, so be sure to store them in a cool, dark place.