This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PawsToSavor #CollectiveBias
Summer is my favorite season of the year. Not only do I enjoy the warm weather it brings, but I also enjoy how my life slows down as I enjoy more time outdoors. I’ve realized that every summer I’m more intentional about taking time to enjoy what matters most. To me that means spending more time outdoors enjoying the beauty of Mother Nature and spending more time with my family. I feel like I’m earning extra credit on days when I get to do both at once, which is why I decided to make this easy DIY pet hammock. Cosmo and Lanie are part of the family after all, and they enjoy admiring Mother Nature just as much as I do!
I promise you I don’t mind sharing my hammock with my two dogs one bit, but since they’re getting older I thought they deserved a hammock of their own. Not only are they special to me, but I knew a smaller sized hammock would require shorter jumps for them and help protect their joints as they age. This was a fun project my husband helped me make and I can’t wait to share the easy tutorial with you today. Just keep in mind that this DIY pet hammock is for smaller sized dogs. My two dogs weigh about 12 pounds each so this hammock is the perfect size for them. They’ve even shared it once or twice, but it does hang quite a bit lower to the ground when they do. Alright, let’s get started!
Supplies needed for this project:
- Outdoor fabric – 2 pieces 26 in. x 36 in.
- Coordinating thread
- 4 – Extra large eyelets for fabric with fastener (I bought a kit)
- Medium Clear PVC cement
- 4 – 2 in S Hooks
- 4 – Eye bolts with nuts 3⁄16 in. x 1 3⁄4 in.
- 4 – PVC T connectors
- 4 – PVC elbows 90 degree
- 4 – PVC elbows 45 degree
- 3 – 5 ft PVC pipe
- 1 – 2 ft PVC pipe
- small saw
- spray paint in color of choice
* all PVC pipe and fittings should be ½ in diameter
Instructions for this project:
1. Cut the PVC pipe to the following lengths using a small saw:
- 2 – 23 in. PVC pipe
- 2 – 13 ½ in. PVC pipe
- 4 – 12 ½ in. PVC pipe
- 4 – 1 ¼ in. PVC pipe
- 2 – 26 in. PVC pipe
2. Use the 23 in. rods and the 13 1/2 in. rods with the T connectors to form the rectangular base.
3. Insert the 1 1/4 in. rods in the remaining connector openings along the outside of the base.
4. Now attach the 45 degree elbows.
5. Drill a 3/16 in. hole in each of the 12 1/2 in. rods 3/4 in. from one end.
6. Insert the 12 1/2 in. rods into the elbows so the ends with holes are at the top.
7. Attach the 90 degree elbows to the ends of the rods.
8. Connect the elbows with the remaining 26 in. rods along the short sides of the rectangular base. You’ve completed the hammock base!
9. Now that you’ve pieced it together and know it all fits, it’s time to take it apart and reinforce it with the PVC Cement. Make sure you mark each piece as you take it part so that it will lay flat once it’s glued back together again.
10. Spray paint the hammock base with two coats of spray paint, letting it dry in between each coat. I recommend using a spray paint formulated for plastic.
11. Insert the eye bolts into the drilled holes at the top of the base with the nut facing outside.
12. Now it’s time to sew the fabric piece for your hammock. Place two pieces of fabric right sides facing and pin into place. Stitch around all sides of the fabric, leaving about a 3 in. opening to allow for turning.
13. Turn fabric right sides out. Fold the edges of the fabric opening under, then top stitch around the entire piece for a tailored edge.
14. Attach an eyelet to each corner of the fabric using the package instructions.
15. Attach the fabric to the hammock base by using the S hooks to connect the fabric eyelets to the eye bolts.
The last step is the easy part. Believe me, as you can see from these pictures, I didn’t have to convince Cosmo to give this DIY pet hammock a try. He jumped right in and made himself at home! Now we can celebrate summer together outdoors in our hammocks…after I move it into the shade, of course. I forsee some outdoor naps in our future this summer!
It’s easy for me to relax and enjoy time outdoors with Lanie and Cosmo knowing they’re receiving the proper nutrition with Purina® Pro Plan® Savor Shredded Blend. I made the switch to Purina Pro Plan Savor Shredded Blend last year because they are two very picky eaters and they had decided to boycott the food I was currently feeding them. I chose to give Purina Pro Plan Savor Shredded Blend a try because I knew it was packed with high quality ingredients to support their nutritional needs. In just one night I knew I had found a winner!
We purchase Purina Pro Plan Savor Shredded Blend at the dog food ailse at PetSmart, which is easy to find thanks to their vivid signs. Lanie and Cosmo like to tag along when we go shopping there, perhaps to make sure we keep getting the food they love. Their favorite is the salmon and rice flavor, but what they truly love about this food is the shredded bits. Lanie loves them so much she usually eats her shredded bits first before eating the rest in her bowl!
Would you like to give Purina Pro Plan Savor Shredded Blend a try? Visit PetSmart and SPEND $15 on any Purina® Pro Plan® product, 5/31–7/5 and you’ll SAVE $15 on your next purchase of 10.5-lbs. or larger Purina® Pro Plan® Dry Cat or Dog Food or Litter by 7/31.
Cosmo sure looks content while spending time in his new DIY pet hammock. He looks like he has no care in the world! I’m on little envious…how about you? Tell me, will you join me in being more intentional with our time this summer? Imagine how different our lives could be if we took time out of our busy schedules to enjoy the moments in life that truly matter. I’m in! How about you?